Vision for the Future


What were your dreams when you were young? What dreams do you have for your children? Dreams are what define individuals and chart the path for life, just as they did for one of the most central figures in the Star Wars universe.


One of the greatest stories told is that of Anakin Skywalker. A small boy, with extraordinary talents, that lived a very simple and hard life. He did not come from privilege; his family did not have great riches; he was not even fortunate enough to live in a decent area.

Stuck on a backwater world, living the hard life of slavery, Anakin had few prospects and little hope for something better. The few talents he had enabled him to survive, and in some ways thrive in this hard life. Yet even as hard as this life was, he had a dream.

He dreamed of something bigger, of a life with greater purpose. Had that small group of escapees from Naboo not shown up on his doorstep, these dreams quite possibly would never have been realized.

When Qui-gon met this young man, he knew there was something special. The more he got to know this boy, the more he was convinced – this was the chosen one.

This simple assumption by Qui-gon set this boy on a path that would forever dominate his destiny. Anakin soon found himself under enormous pressure, scrutiny, and high expectations. Being the center of attention, with all the hopes of many Jedi – along with the doubts of some others – were a lot for Anakin to bear.

More than once in the movies, he commented on how things were not moving and evolving as they should. Whether it was not feeling like the Jedi he should, or feeling like he was being held back, or even feeling insulted by his “career path”, Anakin in many ways seemed to find these expectations, this vision, hard to live with.

This vision that had given him a new course for his life, was also becoming a great burden. This burden set him on a path that ultimately led to the ruin of his life, and the destruction of the Order he was to save.

As I said in the opening, vision and dreams can often serve to inspire. They are the things that set the course for many people’s lives. They are the things that will drive one on, even when all the odds are against him. They will give direction and passion to a person’s life. Vision can and should be all of these things, but sometimes this is not the case.

When a vision is personal, it can inspire, but when it is forced on a person by another, it can become a burden. Have you ever seen this in your life, the life of your child, or even another? Working with kids, and even with friends I grew up with, I have seen this happen.

Parents sometimes get this idea of what their child should be, and then push them in that direction. Now don’t get me wrong, motivation is a good thing, and supporting your children is important, but what are you supporting them towards? Is it their dream or yours?

When I held my children, I would often sit and imagine what they would be when they grew up. It is something every parent does, but as a parent, I need to be careful how I communicate this to my children.

I have met many people in the course of my life that have felt their parents were disappointed in them. People who did not do what their parents wanted them to, and now feel like they have let them down. I have seen kids, pushed into sports and other activities simply because that is what their parents thought they should do because their parents loved doing that activity.

Instead of inspiring the children, it only serves to burden them. Instead of directing them, it only hurts them and turns them away. As parents, this is a hard balance to find. Putting it into practice is much more difficult than just talking about it. I must be sure that the vision I see for my child, matches them, and the passions they have for their life.

Years ago, as I was preparing for college, I went to lunch with my dad (the man who first introduced me to Star Wars). As we sat and talked, he asked what I was going to do with my life. For years I had work with kids in after school programs and loved this, but I knew that it would not make me very successful. I told him I was thinking about something in the business field, and he very simply reminded me to follow my passion. He saw the joy I had working with kids and fanned that flame. That choice has allowed me to do something I love, and that conversation set me on a wonderful course for life.

Parents need to be sure that the dreams and vision they see for their child match their child’s heart, passion, and the direction God has for their life. We can all probably think about an example of a parent living their dreams through their child, and instead of driving them forward, it often drives them away.

In many ways, this is exactly what happened to Anakin Skywalker. Instead of becoming a great Jedi, he was driven into the arms of the Sith. Whether the weight of expectations, pressure put on him by himself or others, or even the doubts some had, Anakin felt like either he was not fulfilling the vision others had for him, or he was not believed in to complete it.

Either way, if we push our children into a path that is not them, or we doubt them and discourage them from following their passions, it can lead to the ruin of their life, just as it did for Anakin.

Have you experienced this in your life? Have you ever not lived up to expectations or felt pushed into a path that was not you? What dreams do you have for your children? Do they match with their passion and personality? What are you doing to help them realize these dreams?

These are all questions we should ask and answer, and these answers should help us guide our younglings to the path their life should take. We cannot live our dreams through our children, but instead, must help them to soar and find the path and purpose for their lives. We must help them find a vision for their future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Courage, No Matter What The Odds

Dan Rather once said, “Courage is being afraid, but going on anyhow.” In life, we all are faced with circumstances that test ...